Read my first post for why we are here. If you're just joining us, you can check out my previous posts on the sidebar.


Friday, February 16, 2007

Novel Stats

Uncanny

Today's Word Count: 617 words, 34.5k total

Excerpt:
“Daniel…do you know how you got here?”
He shook his head in reply. No, he hadn’t thought of how he had come here. Daniel had been fighting to figure out where “here” was. But then it came to him, sharp and clear, like a ray of sun piercing the clouds. He wasn’t sure he could do it, but after a brief struggle, he lifted his arms up and out. They shook violently with the effort, like he was holding invisible paint cans. He flapped them in the air, once, twice, and then he let them fall to the ground.
“You flew here?”
An old joke, planted in some dark, hidden field of his mind, came plowing its way to the surface. “And boy, are my arms tired.”


Well, things are going okay. I'm still in my Stephen King induced inspirational mode, so hopefully that continues for a while. I've found another trap that I'll have to dodge: overusing metaphors. Today, it seemed I wanted to end every sentence with "like this" or "just like that" or "as if".
I enjoy metaphors, I really do, like a wino enjoys wine. They are a good thing, I just don't want to overuse them; like a woman might wear too much makeup.
Anyway...
Onward!

No comments: